Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I've been making..

Bracelets!

It all started when I read this tutorial on making friendship bracelets by Honestly WTF DIY. I loved making friendship bracelets when I was young, but this particular pattern was one I'd always wanted to make but had never managed to get my head around, so I really wanted to try it.

The tutorial was simple and easy to follow, and although I didn't have quite the right thread to do this, I decided to substitute for a different thread and try it anyway. Getting started was a bit tricky and I think the different thread being too thin didn't help, but here are some photos of the finished bracelets. I am going to give them another try when I get hold of the right thread.

The other pattern is one that I loved making when I was younger and made ALL the time! It's very quick and easy (the chevron one takes quite a long time, let me warn you!) and gives wonderful results! Here is a video of how to make the twisted bracelet, or if you prefer a written tutorial click here.






After making friendship bracelets I decided to try something I have wanted to try for a while now, plaited/braided fabric bracelets. I didn't follow a tutorial for this, but I just used approx 1.5cm wide strips of fabric and plaited them together. I finished it off with a button on one end and a loop on the other to make a simple clasp.

I started experimenting with different colours and lengths, I've only stopped so that I can get on with some dissertation and packing!













Also experimented using denim, which gives a large knot at one end and a rough chunky texture through the plait. The denim was too thick to sew a button onto and make a loop, so the knot at one end and an added cord at the other make up the clasp.



You can now buy the single or double wrap braided fabric bracelet from my Etsy store iheartrosie!

No comments:

Post a Comment