Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Yesterday I made..

A fabric covered magnet board!

I wanted to make something for my friends birthday, she loves to have photos up on her wall and pink polka dot fabric, so I came up with the idea of making a fabric covered board with button magnets.

I chose pastel pink fabric with small white polka dots, and large pastel buttons in pink, purple, blue, yellow, orange and green. The fabric I bought on eBay because I don't live close to any good fabric stores, I used favouritefabrics who have an amazing selection of fabrics available. I also purchased the magnets and buttons on eBay as it is a quick and easy way to get supplies, and cheap at just £4 for 100g of buttons and £2 for 50 magnets! The board itself came from IKEA and can be found here, it comes in silver or white, and I chose white as I didn't want the metal to effect the colour of the fabric.

I cut a piece of fabric which was a few inches bigger than the board itself and used a glue gun to glue the fabric to the back of the board, making sure the fabric was pulled tight across the front. Using the glue gun was frustrating as you'd put glue half the way and then it would have dried before you had time to wait for the glue gun to melt more glue and then put it on! I think next to I would buy very strong, very sticky double sided tape to use as it doesn't dry out and is quicker and easier to apply!

Below are a few pictures, I didn't have much time between making it and giving it as a gift so they are only quick pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment